Food that’s grilled while camping always seems to taste better! This go-to camping recipe of my family’s is shish kebabs! They’re colorful, delicious, and a crowd pleaser due to the huge opportunity to build-your-own skewer with the flavors you like. Pack along the ingredients you like on your upcoming spring camping trips and follow this easy how-to guide for making grilled shish kebabs!
Easy Grilled Shish Kebabs
- Proteins: beef steak, chicken breast, turkey breast, shrimp, sausage…the sky is the limit!
- Veggies & fruits: bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, zucchini, yellow squash, pineapple, apple, etc.
- Vegetable oil
- Salt, pepper, or other seasonings
You’ll also need:
- Metal or wooden skewers
Let’s let grilling!
- Fire up the grill or cooktop on the outdoor kitchen of your new or used RV. You can also grill these directly over the campfire!
- If you’re using wooden skewers, soak them in a pitcher of water for 30 minutes prior to grilling.
- Thread ingredients onto the skewer, alternating meats with veggies.
- Drizzle lightly with oil, and season with salt and pepper to taste, adding other seasonings as desired.
- Grill until meat reaches desired doneness:
If you’re at a loss on assembling great flavors that pair well together, try these combinations for your camping shish kebabs:
- Pork, pineapple, and peppers
- Pork, apple, and onions (sauce with barbeque sauce and grill)
- Chicken, shrimp, peppers, and onions
- Beef steak, peppers, onions, mushrooms, zucchini, and yellow squash
Want even more variety? Try marinating your meats the night before in a food storage bag. You can even make your marinades before your camping trip and transport them in tightly sealed jars. Then all you have to do is cut up your meat the night before, add it in, and refrigerate overnight!
- Zesty shrimp marinade: combine ¼ cup olive oil, ½ tsp chili powder, and 3 Tbs lemon juice. Whisk well and place shrimp in marinade overnight in fridge.
- Teriyaki beef marinade: whisk together ½ cup sugar, ½ cup soy sauce, ½ cup ketchup, 1 tsp garlic powder, and 2 tsp ground ginger. Cube 1 pound of beef sirloin steak, and add to marinade. Refrigerate overnight.
- Maple chicken marinade: combine 2 tsp olive oil, 1 Tbs grated ginger, 2 cloves minced garlic, ½ cup teriyaki sauce, 3 Tbs maple syrup, ½ cup chicken broth, 2 Tbs orange juice, 1 tsp sriracha sauce, 1 Tbs cornstarch, and 1 Tbs water. Whisk thoroughly and add cubed chicken breast. Marinate overnight in refrigerator.
We hope you love these great camping recipes for shish kebabs! Contact us if we can help you start planning your spring outings in a new or used RV!