Ready for a new favorite camp recipe that’s as easy as it is delicious? Try this recipe for Cornbread Tamale Pie. It’s easy to make in your new or used RV’s kitchen, and it doesn’t use many dishes, so clean up is a snap.
Cornbread Tamale Pie
- Iron skillet
- Medium size bowl
- Fork or whisk
- Measuring cups
- Heat resistant spatula
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 16 oz cans diced tomatoes
- 1 box cornbread mix, like Jiffy, plus additional ingredients needed (usually milk and egg)
- Red pepper flakes, optional (gives it some extra heat!)
- Salt to taste
Additional toppings, optional
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream
- Black olives
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Over medium heat, brown ground beef. Once browned, remove beef from skillet and drain off almost all of the grease.
- Add diced onion and diced bell pepper to the skillet and cook over medium heat until tender, about 15 minutes.
- While onion and peppers cook, prepare cornbread mix in a medium bowl according to package directions and set aside.
- Return browned ground beef to skillet and add both cans of diced tomatoes, stirring to combine with the pepper and onions. Add a dash of red pepper flakes and salt to taste. Mix thoroughly.
- Top the meat and vegetable mixture with the cornbread batter and smooth to cover. Place the entire skillet in the oven and bake until golden brown, about 40 minutes. Serve with optional toppings.
This camp recipe is so easy to prep and assemble, and it’s perfect for a chilly day! And since it’s an “all in one” meal, there’s no need for a bunch of extra side dishes. Just scoop into a bowl and serve! Since several of the ingredients are dry goods and pantry staples, it’s easy to plan for this meal while on the road without worrying about a bunch of perishables. Of course, meal planning for your vacation can get you thinking about any improvements or upgrades that your RV might need, so contact us today if you need any help shopping for a new or used RV with a kitchen that helps make meal prep a breeze!