Fire up the grill for an amazing weekend of mouth watering meals! This is a great Labor Day camping recipe that will probably make its way into your routine lineup of meals at home year round. It’s easy, quick, and so delicious. But you’ll especially love its hearty flavors that are perfect for closing out summer and ringing in fall. Try it this weekend and let us know how you like it!
Bratwurst with Caramelized Onions
- 12 oz hard apple cider
- 1 ½ cup beef broth, divided
- 6 bratwurst
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Tbs butter
- 2 Vidalia onions, thinly sliced
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 6 pretzel rolls
- Dijon mustard
You’ll also need:
- Medium sauce pan
- Medium skillet
- Spatula or wooden spoon
- Cutting board & sharp knife
Let’s get cooking!
- Start the grill – you’ll want it at a medium-high heat.
- Combine the hard cider and 1 cup of the beef broth in a sauce pan. Add the bratwurst sausages and simmer gently over low heat for about 15 minutes.
- While bratwursts are simmering, place thinly sliced onions, salt & pepper, butter, and oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook until tender – about 5 minutes. Watch carefully to make sure the onions don’t blacken and burn. Add the remaining ½ cup of beef broth. Simmer until onions are brown and fully tender. Reduce heat to keep warm.
- Transfer the bratwurst sausages to grill using tongs. Turn occasionally so they don’t burn. Grill until browned and cook through.
- While the bratwurst are grilling, split the pretzel rolls and set aside.
- Once the bratwurst are done, remove them from heat and place the pretzel rolls briefly on the grill to brown, cut side down. Remove once you see light sear marks.
- Serve the bratwurst on the pretzel rolls, topped with onions and Dijon mustard.
What fall camping traditions are you looking forward to this year? We’d love to help you prepare for your fall camping trips in your new or used RV, so contact us today!